A new and crucial chapter of life begins at the end of class 10; during this period, choosing a stream that will provide a foundation for your career based on your strengths, interests, and academic history is essential. Among the plethora of streams available for students inclined toward science, there are two popular options: PCMC and PCMB. In this blog, we will break down the confusion between the two streams to aid in helping you choose an ideal one.
PCMC stream class 11:
What is it?
PCMC is an acronym for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. For students who have a keen interest in engineering and technology, this course will help develop a strong foundation, to begin with. The non-medical course provides a wide array of career options ensuring that you are moving toward a path of job opportunities that will be in demand in the future.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for the stream, you must have completed the 10th standard with a good percentage in the relevant subjects. Apart from your academic excellence, you will have to reflect on whether you like doing mathematics and are willing to take up a stream that devotes maximum attention to the subject. Then you should consider computer science, whether you are interested in it, enjoy working with technology, and constantly learn how to program and innovate; if you are, great! PCMC is perfect for you.
A career in engineering?
Mark Zuckerberg developed one of the most widely used social media platforms, Facebook. Bill Gates wrote software and started Microsoft. Do you want to etch your name in the field of computer science and be a part of major tech giants such as Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. and contribute to new technology and innovation? A course in PCMC will give you a head start on your aspirations. PCMC after 10th grade with computers is an ideal choice for a rewarding career after engineering. Here’s how:
- Mathematics is the backbone of engineering; in PCMC, students learn advanced practices of complex topics like algebra, trigonometry, calculus, geometry, etc. Physics and chemistry are also vital to understanding the laws that govern the physical world, which will help you develop and design new concepts.
- Computer science is essential for prospective engineers because it teaches programming languages, data structures, algorithms, and software development and is crucially necessary for success in most engineering disciplines.
- Mechanical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and many other engineering disciplines are available to PCMC students to provide them with flexibility in career selection.
Advantages of choosing PCMC:
- Since there is no need to study biology, you will have to worry less about detailed diagrams and medical terms.
- You can opt for multiple courses such as B.Sc., B.Tech., BCA, BBA, and B.E.
- You can choose from an assortment of career opportunities:
- Software engineer
- Ethical hacker
- Industrial designer
- Machine learning
- Animation & graphics
- Computer applications and IT
PCMB Stream, Class 11
What is it?
PCMB after the 10th is one of the most sought-after options, especially if you are interested in the medical field, providing you with a deep understanding of the four pillar subjects in science: physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology. PCMB is a combined course tailored to cater to students who want to focus on both subjects and broaden their career prospects, which is a significant highlight. PCMB is quite a challenge, but after completion, you can choose a path in engineering, biotechnology, pharmacy, medicine, and more.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for the stream, you must have completed 10th grade with above-average passing marks in science and mathematics. The stream is best suited for students who would like to pursue a career in the medical field. Despite the dynamicity of the subject, you will have to possess good social skills, an excellent academic record to hypothesize your performance in the future, and curiosity in both math and biology.
PCMB: A stream for both medical and engineering students
Are you an aspiring doctor or an engineer? PCB after 10th grade with mathematics will aid you in pursuing this path.
- Physics will help you understand the fundamental concepts and laws that govern the universe, such as motion, thermodynamics, electricity, energy, magnetism, and more.
- Chemistry will help you understand complex reactions, compounds, the development of new substances, etc.
- Mathematics will introduce you to advanced practices of topics like algebra, trigonometry, calculus, geometry, etc., which are crucial for engineers.
- Biology will help you understand living organisms and their interactions. You can choose from various specializations, such as zoology, dentistry, medicine, technology, and more. As we know, it is the primary subject for aspiring doctors.
Advantages of PCMB:
- You can prepare for both fields of competitive entrance exams, such as JEE and NEET.
- You can choose courses such as B.Tech, B.Pharma, MBBS, B.Sc., B.Arch., B.E., etc.
- You will be able to explore multiple career options:
- Biochemical engineer
- Airline pilot and more
Both PCMC and PCMB are excellent streams that provide rewarding careers for students who want to pursue engineering and medicine; however, the choice ultimately comes down to your interests and aptitude. Whether PCM or PCB is the right stream for you can be determined with adequate guidance and a deeper understanding of what each stream entails. Talk to students and professors from both backgrounds at CMR NPUC today to understand what it is like to study medicine or engineering in today’s world.