Student names: Bharthi Kumari, Shilpa Shree
College name: CMR National PU College, ITPL
Sample name: Incense cones and Incense stick.
Sample collected at: at home
Incense cones are simply conically shaped masses of hardened incense. Like incense stick, incense cones come in numerous varieties based on the diverse combination of ingredients. Incense cones are generally used less in Western areas but have very strong followings in locals like India.
Main ingredients: The precise ingredients found in incense differs from product to product, but there are certain essentials that remain constant. Historically, the chief components were resins like frankincense and myrrh, aromatic wood, bark and in addition such as seeds, roots, and flowers.
Difference between incense stick and incense cones
- Shape: The most obvious difference is the shape of both. While an incense stick is a long wooden stick wrapped with ingredients, an Incense cone is a little triangle shaped piece consisting of perfumed ingredients.
- Time to burn: An incense sticks takes less time to burn as compared to incense cones. Because of its thick structure, it takes few more seconds to burn.
- Lasting time: According to the research both of them last for almost the same duration. However, if Incense stick is kept correctly it may last for a few more months.
Advantages of Incense cones and Incense stick.
According to the research,
- They are better for the health of our body, mind, and soul. Dhoop ( incense cones ) enhances concentration and focus at the time we are reading or performing meditation, it prevents infection, relieves headache, fight depression, and reduces anxiety and tension.
- Dhoop sticks burns steadily and release a soothing fragrance that calm our mind as well as create a peaceful atmosphere in our home or wherever they are used.
- These are widely used for various religious and spiritual purpose. They are basically manufactured from highly processed raw materials such as charcoal granules, resins etc.and are very effective in cleaning the atmospheric pollution.
Disadvantages of incense stick and incense cones.
According to the research
- Incense may need a health warning over “toxic smoke” claims research,’The daily Telegraph report’.
- Analysis of incense smoke, used in both Western and Asian religious ceremonies for possibly thousands of years, found it contains many chemicals, some of which may be harmful.
- Smoke from burning incense created a mixture of fine and ultrafine particles, which are known to be bad for lung health. The chemicals analysis found 64 compounds, taking into account all the components of four incense sticks. These include a chemical compound of essential oils and lignin wood which is commonly used in incense. The compounds were mostly “irritants”, although some toxic compounds were found.
- The result of the recent research has revealed that the release of carbon- dioxide can swell up Lung cells, eventually causing troubles with breathing.
- Prolonged use of incense sticks and cones can increase the risk of fatal heart condition by 10-12%.
- Studies have shown that smoke emitted by incense contains substances like lead, iron, and Magnesium, which increases the number of toxic substances accumulated in the body.
- Preventive measures: Incense stick and incense cones pollute the air inside your house with the carbon monoxide carried by the smoke. To prevent the aforementioned health troubles, avoid the use of incense sticks in high quantity. Avoid burning the incense in a poorly ventilated room.